Established in 1951, we are one of the oldest preschools in the State of Michigan, providing full time, year-round, high-quality learning programs for infants, toddlers, preschool and school-age children. We are the winner of the Governor's Quality of Care Award and have been accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children for nearly 20 years.
Purpose, Values, Mission
Peoples Church Preschool is an outreach program of the Peoples Church of East Lansing. Our purpose is to provide children with a quality preschool experience by providing each child with an individualized curriculum that is based on that child’s developmental level.
Our preschool program helps prepare children for kindergarten by providing them with an opportunity to discover the world around them and to see how they fit into it. Our programs assist children in gaining growth socially, emotionally, and intellectually through play and learning experiences in a loving, caring and safe environment.
Our philosophy of teaching focuses on the whole child.
- We believe the early years of life build a framework for life-long learning.
- We believe in the dignity and value of all children.
- We believe that social and intellectual skills are best learned in an environment where self-esteem is nurtured and respect is absolute.
- We believe children learn best through active exploration, experimentation and problem-solving in a safe and stimulating setting.
In keeping with this philosophy, Peoples Church Preschool provides a program that helps children develop a love of learning, independence, self-control and the ability to interact positively with others.
- - Electronic sign-in/out and daily sheet program (Tadpoles)
- - Regular parent communication email updates
- - Bi-weekly Curriculum Wrap-Ups documenting the children's experiences and learning
- - Child assessments and parent-teacher conferences twice per year
- - Individual child portfolios (both physical work samples and online portfolios, including photographs and anecdotes)
- - Opportunities for parents to socialize and support one another
- - Free vacation days accumulated for full-time enrolled children
- - Various enrichment programs
A toddler and caregiver explore the onsite pond.